Reports To: Senior Pastor
Hours: Part-Time Salaried, 20 hours per week, preferably 9:00 – 1:00 Monday through Friday. Note: This is not a remote position; candidate must be able to work from the church office during regular business hours.
Compensation: Commensurate with education and experience
Chapel Hill UMC Mission
Welcoming ALL people to experience and share the extraordinary GRACE and LOVE of Jesus Christ.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will develop a vision for communications that enhances internal and external communication for church-wide events, classes, Sunday and special services, community outreach and the like. The Marketing & Communications Specialist will serve as a key staff team member working with the Senior Pastor, staff ministry leaders, and volunteers to implement church communications and marketing internally and externally.
Additionally, this role will be part of an assistive resource for the Church Office Coordinator which is a vital link between our church ministry, church staff, the Preschool, and the congregation. This person serves as a gateway for all weekday activity and is responsible for creating a positive and inviting impression of the church and its ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Continually look for new and creative ways to present Chapel Hill UMC to the community
- Responsible for internal and external communications including, but not limited to, weekly worship service bulletins, weekly e-newsletter, overall website enhancements and weekly website updates, special events, posters, worship slides, social media, and the marquee sign
- Stay current with technological trends in communication and incorporate them in existing and new communication methods at Chapel Hill
- Whenever possible, enlist volunteers to coordinate and implement specific tasks, especially those involving social media i.e. Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook
- Maintain healthy lines of communication with various staff members and volunteers
- Maintain consistent branding throughout the church
- Serve as the first line of support to the Office Manager, particularly during the lunch hour or breaks by welcoming all guests, monitoring building access, and answering phones.
- Ensure financial responsibility and manage marketing budget
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor
- Lead from the foundation of a Christ-centered life and committed to grow in Christian faith
- Willing to support the mission of Chapel Hill
- Knowledge and ability to handle all copywriting
- Web Design and maintenance in WordPress
- Familiar with Graphics design programs – Adobe InDesign, Photoshop
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiar with Social Media platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Open-minded, flexible with a strong desire for excellence
- Organized, responsible, and efficient in work
- Servant-leadership management style
- Strong interpersonal Skills
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or possess appropriate marketing/communications experience with a proven track record.
- Working knowledge of United Methodist Church and/or the willingness to learn
- Requires occasional evenings and weekends
- Sitting at computer for periods of time
- Graphic Design Artist
- Lay Volunteers